Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My 2012 Playlist

It's that time of the year for Top Ten lists, Best Of, etc. For the last several years I've written up a list of my "Songs Of The Year". It's a mix of new stuff, old stuff, stuff that caught my attention....I never put the list in order of favorites because I like to pretend I don't have favorites...ha! Herewith is my list for 2012:




Lisa Marie Presley, You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet, Over Me, Storm Of Nails. All three of these songs are off of Storm and Grace. I blogged about this album over the summer. I couldn't get enough of these songs when I first heard them and after a break of several months I'm back to listening to these tracks over and over again. I really do hope Lisa Marie gains a wider audience and that this album gets some recognition. It's really quite good.

Garbage, Man On A Wire and I Hate Love. These tracks are off of their latest album, Not Your Kind Of People. Man On A Wire is a great song to play when you're doing 80 mph up I-10. I Hate Love sort of speaks for itself. I love the line about "I already know who you are...."  Garbage is another favorite of mine and it was great to get some new material from them this year and see them live at the Rialto back in April.

Guns N Roses, Welcome To The Jungle. I wasn't a metal chick back in the day but I always understood the appeal of Guns N Roses. They've grown on me over the years and this is a song that I've played quite a bit this year. You can't beat that opening guitar riff from Slash!

Duran Duran, Safe (In The Heat Of The Moment). This track is off their latest album, All You Need Is Now. Do you need a tune to get everybody off their butts and dancing? This is IT. They played this tune at the show they did at AVA back in August, and I literally jumped up and down I was so excited. (My apologies to the friends I was with if I embarrassed you. NOT!)

Carly Rae Jepsen, Call Me Maybe. I'll admit I don't keep up with the music all of the young kids like. Justin Bieber? I couldn't name a single tune of his if I heard it. One Direction? Nope! But I was shopping and this song came on and I was instantly hooked, as was most of the rest of the world. Soooo catchy! Also, if you haven't caught President Obama's version, it's a must. (Look it up on YouTube).

Muse, Map Of The Problematique. This is off an older album of theirs, Black Holes and Revelations. I was late to the Muse party. When I first became a fan one of my friends said, "They've been around for ages. You're only now getting into them?" I would compare Muse to Queen. Anyway, this song spoke to me after finding out some sad news about an old friend of mine. When I heard this I thought, "If only I could have driven a little faster."

Concrete Blonde, Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) and Caroline. Concrete Blonde is one of my all time favorite bands. Both of these songs are off of what's considered to be their best album, Bloodletting. (And I think it's got one of the best album covers EVER.) I'll always consider it one of my desert island albums. I celebrated my 40th birthday this year and took some friends along to The Surly Wench for their Fineline Revisited night (with a Halloween theme that night) and they played Bloodletting. I'll always think of that night now when I hear that song. "I'm goin' down to New Orleans...I'm gonna have a drink, and walk around...I've got a lot to think about, oh yeah.." Caroline is probably one of my all-time favorite songs. I played it a lot when the album was new (22 years ago!!) and then only sporadically in the years since. The song has come back into my life, again because of that old friend of mine. "And I never wonder where you went, I only wonder why..."

I hope all of you discovered some new music this year or reconnected with some old favorites!

GingerMusicKid

2 comments:

  1. I loved Welcome to the Jungle until I went to a couple of NFL games. You hear it played at any given game enough for one human lifetime. My favorite Concrete Blonde track was their cover of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows", Cohen's a fantastic songwriter but didn't record the track very well so a really good cover of it was much appreciated.

    --Monkey in a man suit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that sporting events tend to play the same songs over and over (and then ruin them for so many people.) Yep, Concrete Blonde's cover of "Everybody Knows" is a great one...I remember the first time I heard Cohen's version I was a little disappointed! Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.