Sunday, May 19, 2013

I'm Lovin' It Right Now...

 After a bit of a hiatus, Pima County Public Library is again purchasing music cds. Yay! Here's some stuff I've been listening to and am excited about...

Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell: First off, some history: I had been aware of Emmylou Harris since I was a kid but always figured she was just a country artist who did some albums with Linda Ronstadt. I picked up Wrecking Ball way back in 1997 because Daniel Lanois was the producer. He also produced two of U2's biggest albums, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, so I was interested to see what he had done with Emmylou Harris' sound. Wow!  I loved this album when it first came out and listened to it quite a bit. I went through an Emmylou Harris phase for awhile and picked up some of her releases after Wrecking Ball, but slowly I lost interest....until now. I heard an interview with Rodney Crowell on NPR about Old Yellow Moon and checked in to see if Pima County Public Library had any copies, and we do! I'm really enjoying this one and some of my favorite tracks are Invitation To The Blues, Open Season On My Heart, Black Caffeine (I get the feeling she's not just singing about coffee!) and Bluebird Wine.




Neck Of The Woods, Silversun Pickups: I'm pretty sure I'm a late arrival at this party too (see my previous post about Muse)! My brother's been a fan for awhile and invited me along to their show at the Pima County Fair on April 19. I had heard of them but didn't know a single song. I really enjoyed the show and picked this up the following week. It's their most recent release and they performed a number of songs off of this at the show. My favorite is Dots And Dashes (Enough Already). I'm pretty obsessed with this one right now and have been playing it constantly.


In Time, The Mavericks: I absolutely looooved their first album, What A Crying Shame, released in 1994 (can't believe it's been that long)! I didn't keep up with them much after that but I knew they had taken a hiatus for awhile. Their lead singer, Raul Malo, released some solo cds in the intervening years and I actually saw him perform at the Rialto in either 2010 or 2011. I've always said he has the voice of an angel, and I always enjoyed his stuff with The Mavericks; people label them as country but I have difficulty with that label. Malo's voice is just too beautiful and there's definitely a Cuban/Latin influence and no "twang" at all. I just listened to In Time last night and I'm reminded again of why I liked their first cd so much, but....although there's some good stuff on this one (Born To Be Blue, Come Unto Me, and In Another's Arms) I'm not liking it as much as Emmylou Harris and Silversun Pickups.

The Jazz Age, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra:  The Roaring 20's are back. With the release of filmmaker Baz Luhrmann's take on F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, everyone seems to be on the 1920's bandwagon. May's edition of Vogue features actress Carey Mulligan in flapper regalia, and a local high school just held their Great Gatsby-themed senior prom. Ferry's latest is an interesting concept, taking songs from his Roxy Music days and re-recording them as instrumentals with a 1920's-style jazz band. I've always been a fan of 1920's fashion and Bryan Ferry, so I had to give this one a listen. I like it, but it's definitely something of a mood piece, and an entirely instrumental album might not be for everybody, but if you're looking for something different, this is it.


Until next time!
GingerMusicKid

No comments:

Post a Comment

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.