Thursday, July 11, 2013

Friendship and Music

The last time I blogged, I wrote about how I was going to the Psychedelic Furs concert for nostalgic reasons. Now I am going to two shows in one week, not because I am a big fan of the performers, but because I want to spend time with my friends.

On Saturday night, a friend was celebrating a milestone birthday (I won't say which birthday in case she reads this). My friend wanted to hear local band The Last Call Girls play at Monterey Court. She described the music as "country/swing." I would not normally go out to hear country/swing, but this was my friend's big birthday and I like the Monterey Court venue. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I LOVE country/swing, at least as performed by The Last Call Girls. Great vocals, lots of energy, rockin' fiddle and two different accordions! I even recognized a few songs: "Ring of Fire," "Jolene," and "Crazy" to name a few. It was fun to watch people of all ages dancing. I feel like I was the one who got a gift on my friend's birthday, being exposed to a band I had never heard before, but will surely look for in the future.

Tonight, I am heading out to AVA Amphitheater to hear the Go-Go's and the B-52s. When a friend first brought it up, I didn't think I wanted to go. I remember listening to the Go-Go's as I was riding around in a friend's car back in the early '80s. I was quite a big fan of the B-52s for a long time, but I was not thrilled with their most recent album Funplex. I finally realized that I really did want to go, but why do I want to see two bands that I have not listened to in years? One reason - I have never been to AVA Amphitheater, so I want to check out the venue. I love listening to music outside. Mostly, I want to hang out with my friends, sit on a blanket, dance on the grass, and listen to some fun music. I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.