Monday, February 11, 2013

MUSE!!!!

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about the Muse show in Phoenix on March 16. I was pretty late to the Muse party--I didn't hear their music until 2011 but when I heard them I was hooked. Better late than never, I say. We have several of their albums in our collection at the Pima County Public Library (although we don't have the latest one, The 2nd Law). The first cd of theirs I picked up is Absolution (2003), and it blew me away. I really liked the entire cd, which isn't something I say too often, but my favorite track off of this one is Hysteria. I liked it so much I bought the ringtone for my cell phone. Ha!




Another good one is Black Holes and Revelations (2006). This cd includes one of my all time favorite songs EVER, Map Of The Problematique. It's epic, it's passionate, I love the melody, and you can dance to it (well, I can anyway.) If they don't do this song at the show I'm going to be VERY disappointed. Other great tracks are Supermassive Black Hole and Soldier's Poem (which has a melody that sounds mysteriously like Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling In Love, at least to me.)

The most recent title of theirs we have in the collection is The Resistance (2009). This one also includes another huge favorite of mine, Undisclosed Desires. So pretty and takes me back to the summer of 2011. I'm actually hoping (but just a little) that they WON'T do this song...I think it might make me cry...but maybe it won't. Another great track on this album is United States of Eurasia, another epic sounding piece that sounds very much like something Queen would have done back in the day.

Although we don't have their latest release (The 2nd Law), I picked it up this past weekend and will share my thoughts: I had read mixed reviews, and I can see why some fans are disappointed with this one. After my first listen I wasn't sure either. The thing I noticed is that the guitars seem to be missing, and there's definitely more of an emphasis on the electronics/synthesizers. It's growing on me, though.

If you're a fan of Queen and U2, give Muse a try. They're my current favorite "new" band, displacing Stereophonics (sorry, Kelly Jones!) A coworker who saw Muse play at KFMA day in 2010 says they were fabulous live. When I told her about the show coming up in Phoenix she immediately said she would definitely see them again. My friends and I are really amped for this show!



GingerMusicKid

No comments:

Post a Comment

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.