Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Late Intro and more World Music

Though this is my 3rd post for the music blog, I thought I should introduce myself somewhat formally.  I moved to Tucson in September, and I have attended many shows and music events in that time.  As my posts have suggested, I am a big fan of New Orleans music, African music, funk, horns, bluegrass, most anything that has a high index of danceability.  I also like some more straight forward rock-n-roll, going back to R&B, classic rock, and contemporary bands.  This week I am reviewing the Buena Vista Social Club DVD, and also reminding everyone how awesome the Freegal service is.

Buena Vista Social Club is a documentary that came out in 1999 about Ry Cooder and his quest to re-unite musicians in Havana, Cuba.  While it is not a new film, it is so good, you should undoubtedly see it if you have not, and probably watch it again if you have already seen it years ago.  The music, the characters, the story are all wonderful and affirming.  When I worked as security at the live venue/movie theater The Boulder Theater in Colorado, we showed this movie about ten times in the first year I was there.  It always brought out a crowd, and everyone, myself included always enjoyed the film.  The band members in the film actually played a show at the theater the week before I started, and for the first several years of my employment there, I heard over and over again about the incredibleness of the performance.


I want to also express my sincere satisfaction with our music service, Freegal.  If you have not done so, link over to the site and start downloading.  They have new recordings, older recordings, and often have some of the more obscure stuff I am looking for (they have recordings by one of my new favorite funk bands called Lettuce).  You are allowed three downloads a week, and they easily end up in your itunes collection.  If there are multiple people in your household, you can get three downloads per library card, so go ahead and take full advantage!  Another reminder, about a month ago, Noelle reviewed a Wilco album.  Wilco will be playing a show here at the TCC on September 19, get your ticket while the gettin's good!  Cheers, Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

What can I post on your wall?
Commenting & Posting Guidelines

Welcome to your library on social media!

Pima County Public Library (PCPL) offers blogs and other social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter for educational, cultural, civic, customer service, and recreational purposes. They provide a limited (or designated) public forum to facilitate the sharing of ideas, opinions, and information about library-related subjects and issues.

By choosing to comment or post on our social media accounts, you agree with the following:

Comments and posts are moderated by library staff, and the library reserves the right to remove any that are unlawful or off topic. Posts containing the following may be deleted:
Copyright violations
Off-topic comments
Commercial material/spam/solicitation
Sexual content, or links to sexual content
Threatening or harassing postings
Libelous or other kinds of personal attacks
Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
Content that reveals private, personal information without permission
Vulgar language or content
Comments in support of or in opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures
Content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification

P.S. Protect your privacy. Don't post personally identifying information in these public spaces, including details like your library card number, phone number, or medical information, etc.

Young people under age 18, especially, should not post information such as your school, age, phone number, and address.